Black gram and rice pancakes flavoured with coconut
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 200 g basmati rice, washed, soaked in water for 12 hours
- 75 g split black gram (urad dal), without skin, washed, soaked in water for 12 hours
- 60 g yoghurt (dahi)
- 60 g bicarbonate of soda
- 4 green chillies, chopped
- 30 g onion, grated
- 8 g green coriander (hara dhaniya), finely chopped
- 8 g coconut (narivat), grated
- refined oil for frying
- salt to teste
1. Wash the soaked rice and then grind to a smooth paste. Keep aside. Then wash the split black gram and also grind to a paste. (Add a little water while grinding, as the pastes should be of a thick consistency).
2. Add the yoghurt and bicarbonate of soda; beat well until the batter is light and frothy. Add the green chillies, onion, green coriander; coconut, and salt. Mix well and keep the batter aside for 20-25 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tsp oil on a flat pan; pour 2 tbsp of the batten Spread out with the back of a spoon into a thick disc of 2" diameter Fry on low heat until small bubbles appear on the surface. Turnover and cook the other side until crisp and golden. Remove and repeat till all the batter is consumed.