Sweetened rice mixed with grated carrots
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 400 g basmati rice, washed in a number of changes oi water, o soaked in enough water to cover for 30 minutes, drained
- 50 g ghee
- 6 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 6 cloves (hung)
- 300 g sugar
- 4 c carrots (gajar), grated
- 2 1⁄2 ml vetiver (kewda) essence
1. Bring 6 cups water to the boil. Add the drained rice and cook uncovered until the rice is half done. Drain the rice and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a pan; add the green cardamoms and cloves; saute until the cardamoms change colour Add the sugar carrots, rice, and vetiver essence; stir carefully to mix well.
3. Reduce heat to very low. Cover and cook until the carrots are very tender and the rice is cooked, stirring occasionally.