Mewa Ka Zarda
Rice pudding enriched with dried fruits
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 400 g basmati rice, picked, washed, soaked in water for 1 hour, drained
- 200 ml refined oil
- 800 ml milk
- 3 g green cardamom (choti elaichi) seeds, powdered
- 1⁄2 g nutmeg (jaiphal) powder
- g mace (javitri) powder
- 1⁄2 g saffron (zafran), soaked in 2 tbsp hot milk
- 50 g charoli seeds (chironji), coarsely ground
- 16 g almonds (badam), blanched, peeled, sliced
- 25 g cashew nuts (kaju), sliced
- 30 g raisins (kishmish), soaked in water for 15 minutes, drained
- 375 g sugar
1. Heat the oil In a deep pan; when hot, add the drained rice. Stir and add the milk. Stir to mix well. Cover the rice until it is cooked and the milk is fully absorbed.
2. Mix the green cardamom, nutmeg and mace powders with the saffron milk.
3. Add the saffron mixture, charoli seeds, almonds, cashew nuts, raisins, and sugar to the rice. Mix well.
4. Cover the pan with a tight lid and put in a preheated oven (100°C / 212°F) for 10-12 minutes.